Saturday, August 20, 2011

Moving Right Along ......

Often times I have worried about the scars I may be leaving my children with by needing a walker or the wheelchair at Walmart or not being able to climb the stairs at night ..... While have I tried my best to teach my kids that differences are not bad just what makes us all UNIQUE, at the same time I never want to embarass my children or make them uncomfortable when we are together (  I am the child of a parent with different - abilities and know both the positive and negitive aspects from a childs view 1st hand ) ...Although I still worry about these things I can officially say I don't worry about SCARS as much anymore ....Why ? well because I have seen my children's smiles and heard their thoughts and felt their joy I'll give you an example ....

While on a trip to Walmart to pick up some groceries I decided I would need the wheelchair ( we call them " Go Carts " in my house lol. I was worried my son might be embarassed walking with me using the " Go Cart " instead of hiding or asking me to not use it he said " mom can I ride with you? " later on that day when we were talking about it he said he is " special " cause not many boys get to ride on their mommies " Go Carts " ... That made me think into the future and while some of you may think this isn't funny I happen to get quite the smile out of it.... I saw him and I shopping for College together racing each other in the store... No he isn't in a wheelchair, and no I wouldn't allow that behavior at a store but at the sametime I didn't view it as such a NEGITIVE Damning thing to my children's future I saw it as just anoyther FUN THING we would get to do together! See Jake won't remember feeling sad walking through the store with mommy in a Go Cart he will remember it as a fun activity we did thats the key make it fun and take the negitive and turn it into something positive before long the worry disappears and you see only the positive!.....My way of thinking may be different then most I am aware of this, but this BLOG is just that, My View not expected to be everyones just mine and my HOPE is to lighten the worry load on a lot of moms like myself!

2 comments:

  1. The embarassment is something that WE AS ADULTS create in our minds. I remember a similar incident with my children at BiLo. It was a day that I was too weak to walk. My kids and I had the best time because they laughed and picked at me and told me I was the WORST DRIVER and that it was a good thing I wasnt driving nascar. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very right if only we could hold on to a child like look at the world as adults ...then maybe ....just maybe ....the world would be different!

    ReplyDelete